Under the Electricity Market Act there may be only one company in Estonia that provides an electricity transmission service as a Transmission System Operator or TSO. The Estonian Competition Authority has issued the licence for this to Elering.
In its service area, Elering provides the following network services to consumers, producers, power line operators or other network companies:
- on application, connection of properly configured equipment to the network in its service area;
- on application, modification of consumption or production conditions;
- use of the network connection from a connection point;
- transmission of electricity through the Elering network to or from connection points;
- installation of legally approved measurement equipment in the network;
- collection and processing of measurement data.
A network connection is an electrical connection between a network and other electrical equipment.
Use of a network connection means using network services through the network connection.
Transmission means passing electricity through the main grid network.
Elering signs a contract with its clients for the sale of transmission services, which covers:
- an electrical design plan, which shows the connection points and the ownership limits of electrical equipment;
- a list of measuring devices for the electricity transmitted;
- relay protection and automation equipment and the secondary equipment that is most important for system reliability, and the conditions related to these;
- an agreement on the switching operations of electrical installations, stating which party gives the order for switching, which administrates it, and which carries it out;
- the standard terms and conditions.