Connecting to the grid
Connecting to the grid means making a new grid connection or, at the client’s request, changing the consumption or other technical conditions of an existing grid connection, or improving the security of supply.
- Grid connection information system
- Available connection capacities
- Conditions for connecting to the grid
- Preliminary study and technical conditions
- Application and contract
- Building work for the connection point
- Testing period and start of use of generating equipment
- Connection contracts concluded
- Current connection proposals
Proceedings related to the connection process, coordination, and preliminiary studies as also the data exchange related to these activities are carried out in the transmission grid connection information system.
The connection process is regulated by § 42, section 2 of the Electricity Market Act, which is the basis for the Grid Code as confirmed by Regulation no 184 of the Estonian Government. Chapter 5 of the Grid Code sets the requirements for connecting a client’s electrical equipment to the network operator’s electricity distribution network.
The process for connecting to Elering’s electricity grid comprises the following steps:
- Preliminary study and technical conditions for connecting
- Submission of an application to connect to the grid and signing of the grid connection contract
- Elering activities related to the construction of a connection point
- Testing period and full switch-on of the connecting power station
Also, when connecting bigger power plants with distribution networks, coordination with Elering needs to be obtained.
As a rule, when connecting to the transmission network managed by Elering, the Elering substation is the optimal connection point. The location of the substations can be studied on the map of the Estonian power system.