Preliminary study and technical conditions for connection to the grid
- Grid connection information system
- Available connection capacities
- Conditions for connecting to the grid
- Preliminary study and technical conditions
- Application and contract
- Building work for the connection point
- Testing period and start of use of generating equipment
- Connection contracts concluded
- Current connection proposals
If requested by the connecting client, the technical conditions can be published through the grid connection information system, if this is necessary for planning to be started or for various licences to be obtained or if the client is unable to submit all the required documents in the application to connect to the grid.
The preliminary study for connection is carried out by Elering and the client together. The purpose of the preliminary study is to inform the connecting client what technical solutions are recommended for the intended connection point and what the costs of connection would be.
The preliminary study is a non-binding technical and economic consultation that Elering offers to its clients, so that the costs of connecting can be assessed before the official connection procedure is started and the application to connect is filled. As part of the preliminary study Elering and the client together define agreed scenarios and timetables for the various connection options.
In connection with this it should be remembered that the technical solution and connection fee contained in the later connection offer may differ from the results of the preliminary study if the conditions in the electrical system have changed because:
- new consumers or producers have connected to the grid or are connecting to it under a connection contract either in Estonia or in the synchronised electrical system that Estonia is part of, and this has a serious impact on the functioning of the Estonian electrical system;
- existing production equipment has been shut down or its planned shutdown has been announced, either in Estonia or in the synchronised electrical system that Estonia is part of, and this has a serious impact on the functioning of the Estonian electrical system;
- the electrical network or its configuration in neighbouring systems has changed, and this could not have been foreseen;
- The time taken for the preliminary study for joining can vary, depending on the technical complexity of the project and the number of different options in the study. In general the study is completed and technical conditions published within 90 days, but a deeper and more thorough analysis can demand more time for the preliminary study.
Elering has developed an interactive map application for presenting available connection capacities in electricity transmission network substations, saving connection process time for both applicants and Elering.
The application located at https://www.elering.ee/en/available-connection-capacities presents connection capacities for which there is no need to enhance the transmission capacity of transmission lines and when potential connection will take place in one of the Elering substations. To study connection possibilities in various substations, you must still contact Elering. The application presents the maximum connection capacity of 50 MW for a 110 kV network and the connection capacity of up to 100 MW for a 330 kV network. Read more..